French Freeman French Architects
The renewal of a flood-damaged, historic complex was designed to create a mixed-use campus. Originally built as a psychiatric hospital in 1890 and subsequently used for state agency offices, the complex had been severely damaged by flooding caused by Tropical Storm Irene in 2011.
In an initial, fast-track study phase, the team evaluated existing conditions, heritage value, and potential for flood mitigation, and new green technologies to develop options for a state-of-the-art campus for state agencies. The final design involves the full restoration of the most historic buildings and creation of new, modern office spaces, a new office building, central plant and maintenance facility, site infrastructure, and the historic renovation of the original 13 core buildings for a total of 46 buildings. All components are designed for maximum (500-year) flood protection and expandability for future expansion.
The planned redevelopment comprises reuse, selective demolition, and new construction. The design includes the reinstallation of lost architectural details and elements such as the porte-cochère and chimneys on the Center Building. The restoration of historic core buildings includes roof restoration, masonry restoration, wood window replacement and restoration, and restoration of interior finishes.